Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Daring Cooks: Cold Soba Noodle Salad with Tempura


The February 2011 Daring Cooks’ challenge was hosted by Lisa of Blueberry Girl. She challenged Daring Cooks to make Hiyashi Soba and Tempura. She has various sources for her challenge including japanesefood.about.com, pinkbites.com, and itsybitsyfoodies.com

I wasn't sure I'd be able to do this month's challenge, but I managed to squeeze it in on Monday the 14th.

We love soba noodles so I usually have them on hand. Personally, I liked them as a salad, especially with the spicy dipping sauce/dressing.

While I've made tempura before, this particular recipe didn't give me the desirable end result. The batter was very thin and didn't adhere well to the vegetables and the shrimp, even when I dredged them in flour beforehand. Everything still tasted good, but I plan to re-do this in the future, using a different batter.

Check out the Daring Kitchen to see what the other cooks did, and stay tuned for the next challenge.

No comments: