Monday, June 14, 2010

Daring Cooks: Tricolor Vegetable Pâté


Our hostesses this month, Evelyne of Cheap Ethnic Eatz, and Valerie of a The Chocolate Bunny, chose a delicious pâté with freshly baked bread as their June Daring Cook’s challenge! They’ve provided us with 4 different pâté recipes to choose from and are allowing us to go wild with our homemade bread choice.


Each month, all the Daring Cooks look forward with anticipation to learn what kind of challenge we will encounter. For June, we were tasked with make a pâté, made from either liver or seafood or vegetables. Not knowing what my dining audience would prefer, I chose the vegetarian pâté.


It was a good choice.


First, there is a white bean layer,



followed by a red pepper-feta cheese layer,



then topped with a homemade basil/parsley pesto.




I halved the recipe, using a 6-inch cake pan. This was more than enough for two people. I would highly recommend doubling the pesto layer regardless. It was delicious, but too thin.



Along with the
pâté, we also had to make some bread, bread of our choice. I made a baguette using a recipe from Artisan Breads in 5 Minutes a Day. The basic recipe is quick, simple, and tastes fabulous. It went perfectly with the pâté, and the nice thing is, I have more dough in the fridge, ready to bake up and use with the remaining pâté.






All the layers had a good consistency and held together well. As requested, I refrigerated it overnight and put it in the freezer for about 30 minutes before unmolding. Even after two days, it is still fine. I only need to bake more bread, or toast some of my regular whole wheat bread, now, to finish it off.

I intend to keep this
pâté in mind for the next party or potluck. It's the ideal appetizer. For the recipe, go to either the Daring Kitchen, Epicurious, or to one of the hostess's blogs.

7 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Pesto is just good isn't it? Seems to be lovely here!

Anonymous said...

I have become a big fan of those Artisan bread in 5 minutes a day recipes. Excellent job on everything.

Tia said...

Pate always scares me... icky texture, but the veggie pate sounds good!

Mary said...

This was a great veggie pate recipe. Yours looks perfect. My red pepper layer was runny, but that didn't stop us from eating it. Great baguette too!

natalia said...

Ciao ! I had the same problem Mary had but yours looks wonderful !

Lisa said...

Your veggie pate and bread turned out beautiful! I loved the veggie pate so much :0 However, can I please have some of that chocolate chip cinnmaon swirl bread above? I am in love!

Barbara Bakes said...

The round shape is so pretty and you bread looks fabulous Great job on this challenge.