Friday, April 23, 2010

TWD: Sleep deprivation causes baking error

Saturday morning I got up at 6:30 am. I finally got to bed at 3:30 am Tuesday morning. That's something like 45 hours with no sleep. I had a project to finish and send in, so that's what had to be done. I'm still recovering.

Obviously, not quickly enough.

Note the lovely, delicious cream scone with strawberries.



It took me several days to realize that I had baked the wrong thing. I think I was supposed to bake sweet cream biscuits. These are not them. My apologies to Melissa.




They were good, though. I froze half, unbaked, and baked the remaining ones, which I used for shortcake.


The ingredients listed currants, but I never could find them included in the mixing/baking instructions. Unwittingly, I just left them plain, which worked out nicely.

I don't know if the TWD rotation has included these scones, but I'm ready for it way in advance.



So, now that I have a small amount of breathing room, I will be off to the kitchen to correct my mistake. The biscuits will be late, as will the BB thumbprint cookies, and probably other baked goods as well.


I'm treating myself to a weekend mini-vacation to visit a friend, who is chef at a tapas/wine bar in Buellton, my mother in Santa Maria, and a cool quilt show at the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo.


No more all-nighters for awhile.

2 comments:

Kayte said...

Love scones, and what can be bad about mistaking scones for biscuits...nothing in my book! Yours look great, I love the process shots.

TeaLady said...

Not a bad mistake. Scones are my absolute fav way to eat a 'biscuit' which is what they are.

Those look just right.