Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Brunswick Stew


The 2010 April Daring Cooks challenge was hosted by Wolf of Wolf’s Den.. She chose to challenge Daring Cooks to make Brunswick Stew. Wolf chose recipes for her challenge from “The Lee Bros. Southern Cookbook: Stories and Recipes for Southerners and Would-Be Southerners” by Matt Lee and Ted Lee”, , and from the Callaway, Va Ruritan Club.



This was a hearty challenge indeed. I only made half a recipe, but it nearly filled my 7-quart pot, and is continuing to provide ready-made dinners at a time when my work load precludes a lot of cooking. I used Version #1, the long-cooking one.




Rather than the traditional rabbit or squirrel (or kangaroo), I chose to use chicken and pork. I took my time browning the meat and used homemade chicken stock, so the flavors of the stew were very well developed. As it sits in the refrigerator, the flavors continue to improve.




Since I'm in the final hours of a large project, my post will be short. For more opinions and the recipes, head over to the Daring Kitchen. Suffice it to say, the stew was easy to prepare and tastes lovely. We all enjoyed it.


2 comments:

Kayte said...

I've never had this before, I have heard about it, but never eaten it, or even know much about it. I do know, however, that I am thinking I wish you had gone for the kangaroo version...LOL! Not everyone (or anyone) I know uses Kangaroo in anything. Looks good even without the kangaroo!

Jacque said...

It sure does look delicious and hearty. Hope things ease up for you at work.