Tuesday, June 2, 2009

TWD: Cinnamon Squares

True or False:

I really did pour half the batter in the pan before adding the chocolate-cinnamon sugar-espresso layer.



What the heck happened? It looks like the crazed smile of a Halloween jack-o-lantern.



This week's Tuesday with Dorie recipe was chosen by Tracey from Tracey’s Culinary Adventures. I really wanted to like Cinnamon Squares, because I love cinnamon and chocolate, but, to tell the truth, it just fell flat. The cake part was pretty tasty, but the icing looked nothing like the photo in the book and it lacked something in the flavor department. I debated whether to even frost the cake or not. I should have listened to that little internal voice. If I ever bake it again, I will just sprinkle the cake with powdered sugar.

I'm probably in the minority this time, but to find out for sure, check out the TWD blogsite for other comments.

12 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

But it's a good thing we don't all like the same stuff.

Looks pretty from here.

Pamela said...

I think your cake looks great, especially the ribbon. I was surprised at how much I ended up loving this cake!

Kayte said...

I did the same thing, carefully measured so my ribbon of chocolate would come out dead center and it must have sunk! Your jackolantern comment was really funny. It does look like that. Yours looks great...and it was easy enough, too bad this wasn't an out of the ballpark hit for you. Guys here liked it...they like everything!

Megan said...

Ha ha ha ha - crazed jack o'lantern? I'll be laughing about that for hours!

Hindy said...

I added a tablespoon of icing sugar to my frosting and it was a much better taste. Love your crooked smile square!

Leslie said...

You're so funny! I'm sorry this one was a little disappointing, though your frosting looks beautiful and shiny.

chocolatechic said...

My filling sank to the very bottom of the pan.

It tasted wonderful though, and that is all that counts.

Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...

I love your crazy jack-o-lantern cake smile, how fun! I think I would have prefered this with just a powdered sugar topping as well, yours looks great though.

Anonymous said...

I love your 'crazed smile of a Halloween jack-o-lantern' Cinnamon Squares! Not only do they look delicious, but they have character!

I loved this one!

Unknown said...

Thanks for baking with me this week! Sorry the squares were a disappointment. I love your commentary on the swirl :)

TeaLady said...

And mine went the opposite way and ended up near the top....

Yours looks just great.

The Food Librarian said...

Love your jack-o-lantern cake. It only needs eyes! :)