Monday, June 8, 2009

10-grain deliciousness

Make This Bread!


Please.

You won't regret it.



I'm in the process of auditioning a few more cookbooks. This time it's Sur la table's The Art and Soul of Baking by Cindy Mushet. Several other food bloggers have recently shared recipes from this book, and when it passed through my hands at the library, and no one else had requested it, I determined it was mine for awhile.


As I looked through the recipe selections during lunch (always a dangerous time), I mentally marked at least a dozen recipes to test. The first one on my list was Nine-Grain Whole Wheat Harvest Bread. In my case, it was a ten-grain version, thanks to 10 Grain Hot Cereal from Bob's Red Mill.


I had planned to make this on Friday, so I prepared the soaker, then left to do some errands. Upon my return, I discovered that the power had gone out and wouldn't be restored until evening. Shoot. There went my 'day of baking' and working, and the soaker had to be tossed for safety's sake. Saturday I began again, keeping my fingers crossed regarding power.




This bread is absolutely fabulous, one of the best I've ever made or tasted. It has great texture, taste, and moistness, perfect for sandwiches.







Nine-Grain Whole Wheat Harvest Bread

1/2 cup (3 ounces) multi-grain hot cereal mix (can be 6, 9, or 10 grains)
1/2 cup (4 ounces) boiling water
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (9 ounces) warm water (110-115 degrees F)
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon active dry yeast or 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
1/4 cup (3 ounces) honey
2 3/4 cups (14 ounces) bread flour or unbleached all-purpose flour

3/4 cup (4 ounces) whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt

Pour the cereal into a medium bowl. Add the boiling water and stir to blend. Let the mixture sit for 20 minutes until room temperature.

Put the sugar and yeast into the bowl of a stand mixer. Pour the warm water over them, and let stand for 10 minutes until the yeast is foaming. Add the cooled cereal, honey, bread flour, whole wheat flour, and salt. Mix on low speed for 2-3 minutes.
Cover the bowl and let the dough rest for 20 minutes to allow full hydration. Using the dough hook, turn the mixer on to medium-low and knead the dough until it is firm and elastic, from 4 to 10 minutes.

Lightly oil a tub or bowl, place the dough inside, cover, and let rise until doubled, about 35 to 45 minutes. If the room is cold, this may take a bit longer.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board. Press gently, but do not knead. Shape into a round loaf and place on peel or parchment paper if using a baking stone, or on parchment-lined baking sheet.


Lightly cover the dough and allow to rise until almost doubled, between 20 and 45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Allow to heat for 30 to 60 minutes before baking.

Dust the loaf with a bit of flour, slash the top, then transfer to the baking stone (or put the baking sheet into the oven). Bake for about 40-45 minutes, until the internal temperature is 190 degrees F.

Transfer to a rack to cool.


Slice and enjoy!






Yesterday I made one other recipe from this cookbook: a quarter recipe of the quick puff pastry dough. Oh my goodness! It was ethereal.


More in a later post, but, suffice it to say, purchasing this cookbook for my collection is now a top priority.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Well, I have that book, and I've yet to make anything out of it.

I guess bread should be first in line, considering how easy you make it look.

TeaLady said...

That looks great. I love baking bread. Will have to try this one.