Saturday, May 23, 2009

My Kitchen, My World: Pakistan


Our second stop of the month for MKMW is Pakistan. After searching through my cookbook collection and several websites, I found two recipes that didn't require a spice that wasn't in my pantry. While I made both recipes and really enjoyed them both, I'm only writing about the first. Mainly because I don't have any photos of the second one. It disappeared too quickly.



That's not to say the first one stuck around too long, because it was just as delicious. It just barely managed to have its photo op.





So, my feature dish is Potato Curry with Peas and Carrots. I had all ingredients on hand, including a very spicy curry mixture, Rogan Josh. This was a lovely, flavorful dish with the coconut milk balancing the heat from the spices. It's a wonderful way to eat your peas and carrots!


I'll be looking forward to the other Pakistani dishes that appear today.

Potato Curry with Peas and Carrots


In a large, heavy-bottomed skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. When hot, add the hot curry powder and stir it around for 30 seconds. Add the onions to the pan and saute until they are tender and a bit golden. Add the carrots, potatoes, and minced garlic. Stir well, and then add about a half cup each of water and coconut milk. Stir in the turmeric, salt, and coriander. Reduce the heat to low and cover it.


Check every so often to stir the pot and check the moisture level. When the moisture is almost all absorbed, add more coconut milk and water, in equal parts. Continue to cook, stir, and add liquid until the vegetables are very tender and the curry is nice and thick. At this point, taste it to check that the spice levels are where you like them. Stir in the peas and the rest of the coconut milk (and water if necessary), and cook it for a few minutes longer until peas are done.




(Oh, and the second dish was chicken thighs cooked with a blend of spices and basmati rice. It bakes in the oven, so it's a very easy one-dish meal.)




3 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Looks like excellent peas and carrots;o)

Anonymous said...

I've never had pakastani food. This looks delicious.

Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...

Judy, this looks so delicious, it's now on my must make list! I love the coconut milk and spice combo.

Wanted to let you know the MKMW Pakistan round-up is now posted. Thanks for cooking along :)